To earn an MA in Professional Writing degree, students complete at least 36 hours
of course work. Students enroll in the following:
- The Writing Core (3 hrs) - PRWR 6000: Issues and Research in Professional Writing
- Students must complete this core course in their first semester in the MAPW program.
- The Concentration (15 hrs) - All students concentrate in one of the three genres of
writing. To graduate, students must successfully complete 5 courses (15 hrs) in their
- Applied Writing
- Creative Writing
- The Support Area (9 hrs) - All students select one of the remaining genres as the
support area. To graduate, students must successfully complete 3 courses (9 hrs)
- The Elective (3 hrs) - In addition to the above requirements, students take an elective,
a single course (3 hrs) from any of the MAPW courses of their choice.
- The Capstone (6 hrs minimum) - After completing a minimum of 27 hours, students may
enroll in capstone (i.e., thesis) hours, which allows students to explore more fully
an area of interest by producing a thesis or other substantial project.
- To graduate, students must complete at least 6 hours, but some may need to enroll
in more hours, and complete their capstone work successfully.
Classes are only held in the evening, Monday through Thursday from 6:30 pm to 9:15
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the
institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to email@example.com.
- GRE Score Report - Applicants who opt to take the test must show a total score of 520 (verbal) and
a minimum of 4.5 (analytic writing). Request that your scores be sent electronically
to KSU (school code 5359). No department code is necessary.
Applicants who opt not to take the GRE must show evidence in the Letter of Application of one of the following
(make your selection in the online application):
1. Having substantially published or produced with an established professional or
non-profit venue; or having substantially participated in writing a significant document
with an established business, non-profit or government agency.
2. Having had entry-level experiences in the professional fields as a writer, editor,
script coordinator, writing teacher, or the like.
3. Having received a recommendation after either a face to face, telephone or tele-conference
interview with a panel of three outside reviewers who are MAPW alumni or MAPW Community
Board members or a combination of these selected by the program director.
- Letter of Application (Can be uploaded into the online application) - Should address your preparation for
and goals for the MAPW program and a rationale for the choice of concentration and
- Writing Sample (Can be uploaded into the online application) - One copy of representative writing
samples from both the concentration and the support areas, not to exceed 25 pages.
- Resume (Can be uploaded into the online application)
- Letter of Recommendation (optional) - Strongly recommended by department and must be from either a undergraduate
or graduate faculty member. Applicants may submit up to 3 optional letters.
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
This program accepts applications in Fall, and Spring
Fall Priority Deadline
Fall Final Deadline
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
Program Director: Dr. Tony Grooms
Program Office: 470-578-3335; firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Website: http://mapw.hss.kennesaw.edu/program/mapw/
TAKE A VIRTUAL TOUR OF KSU!