Masters of Arts in Teaching
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Masters of Arts in Teaching is a degree for those with a bachelor's degree, but
no education background or teacher certification, and leads to initial certification.
It meets the Georgia Professional Standards Commission standards and includes both
course work as well as field and clinical experiences. It prepares professional teacher
leaders with advanced knowledge, skills, and dispositions to become effective facilitators
Kennesaw State University offers MAT programs in:
- Secondary English
- Secondary Mathematics
- Secondary Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- Special Education
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee:
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the
institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to email@example.com.
- Georgia Educator Ethics Assessment - More information can be found at http://gace.ets.org/ethics/about.
- Personal Statement - Can be uploaded into the online application. Should be 1-2 pages and explain what has led to your decision to become an educator.
- Resume - Can be uploaded into the online application. Should document education, any teaching experience, volunteer and service accomplishments,
and record of leadership activities.
- Two Letters of Recommendation - Can be sent electronically through the online application.
- Interview - An interview may be required. If so, you will be contacted by the program to set up
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTAIN CONCENTRATIONS
- Math Prerequisites
Calculus I, Calculus II, College Geometry (level 3000+), and Statistics (level 2000+)
- SECONDARY SCIENCE - Complete the appropriate GACE Content Assessment for your desired subject area. For
more information, visit http://gace.ets.org/.
- BIOLOGY: GACE in Biology (Test Code 026 & 027, or combined 526)
- CHEMISTRY: GACE in Chemistry (Test Code 028 & 029 or combined 528)
- PHYSICS: GACE in Physics (Test Code 030 & 031, or combined 530)
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
This program accepts applications for Spring and Summer only.
*Feb 1 - Deadline for individuals not currently, or contracted to be, employed in
a school setting aligned with the MAT programs of study (certification field and grade
level) being sought.
*Apr 1 - Deadline for individuals currently employed in a school setting aligned with
the MAT program of study (certification field and grade level) being sought.
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
Graduate Programs in Education
Program Office: 470-578-6043 or