What is meant by an "accredited" institution?

The Graduate College at Kennesaw State University will accept transcripts, for the purpose of verifying a bachelors degree and/or GPA, or graduate transfer credits, from US institutions that are regionally accredited. There are 6 regional accrediting agencies:

Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)

  • Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands

New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC-CIHE)

  • Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
The Higher Learning Commission (NCA-HLC)

  • Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)

  • Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Washington

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges

  • Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and in Latin America

Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities (WASC-ACSCU)

  • California, Hawaii, and the Territory of Guam


You may use this link from the US Department of Education to search for an institution and see with which agency they are accredited.

Applicants with degrees or courses from institutions outside of the United States will have their transcripts evaluated by an evaluation agency. The agency report will include the accreditation status. Use this link for a list of acceptable evaluation agencies for international transcripts.