ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Master of Public Administration (MPA) is a professional degree that prepares students for administrative and leadership positions in governmental agencies and nonprofit organizations. The program's student and teaching oriented faculty seek to contribute to the development of professional individuals with an ethos of democratic administration by providing them with a combination of solid academic learning and concrete practical experiences.
The MPA Program is a 36 semester-hour course of study that consists of three components: An 8-course core curriculum is required of all students (24 hours); a 3-course concentration of the student's choice (9 hours); and a professional exercise (3 hours).
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
This program accepts applications in Fall, Spring and Summer; the deadlines are:
Fall July 1; Spring November 1; Summer April 1.
See the list of available start terms and document deadlines here. Please note that completed applications and all required credentials must be submitted by the posted deadline.
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to email@example.com.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with at least 2.75 grade point average;
- Scores from a standardized graduate admission test, such as GRE, MAT, GMAT or LSAT. Request that your scores be sent electronically
to KSU -OR- Obtain an GRE waiver.
The Master of Public Administration Program Admissions Committee will consider standardized graduate admission test alternative requests on a case-by-case basis. Test alternatives are by no means automatic. These alternative options are available for selection on the Graduate Application. The minimum requirements for test alternative consideration are as follows:
1. An advanced degree (e.g., masters, doctorate), or
2. An undergraduate grade point average of 3.25 or higher in the applicant’s major, or
3. Private sector management experience or work experience in the public sector (government or nonprofit organization).
Applicants’ primary job duty requires: ongoing supervision of the equivalent of two or more full-time employees, involvement at the policy-making level of an organization, application of discretion in a management or leadership position, or the applicant’s employer indicates that employee is likely to be placed in a leadership or management position during or after completion of the program.
- Submit a statement of purpose essay of approximately 1,000 words addressing the following questions: "In what way do you expect the Master of Public Administration degree to affect or enhance your career goals and aspirations?
- A current résumé;
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty or work supervisors with direct knowledge of the applicant that address the applicant's potential for graduate study and use of an MPA degree. MUST BE UPLOADED TO APPLICATION
- Students are admitted to the program based upon an overall review of all credentials including any work and community service experience that indicates potential success in graduate work and in professional public service.
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
Program Director: Dr. Jerry Herbel
Program Office: 470-578-7869; firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Website: http://mpa.hss.kennesaw.edu/programs/mpa/