Master of Education in Special Education
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The fully online M.Ed.in Special Education: General Curriculum program enrolls a new cohort of experienced general education teachers each summer. It is structured so cohort candidates complete the 36 credit-hour master’s degree program in six semesters (two years).
No on-campus attendance is required. Online coursework is taught by graduate faculty utilizing technology to provide synchronous and/or asynchronous content delivery, feedback, and supervision as candidates complete field experience at their current work setting.
The online master’s degree in Special Education: General Curriculum prepares candidates to serve students with disabilities in inclusive settings in P-12 schools. Three electives are included in the program to provide content delivery for candidates’ individual interests (e.g., autism, preschool special education, reading, and English to speakers of other languages). Upon completion of the program, graduates will be prepared to serve students with disabilities in a variety of teaching and leadership roles.
The program meets the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) standards and the standards of the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
The Master of Education in Special Education degree prepares practicing educators to be teacher-leaders in Special Education - General Curriculum. The program provides initial certification in special education for experienced educators in other fields and prepares teachers to educate an increasingly diverse population of students in Georgia through inclusive practices.
The program of study in the M.Ed. in Special Education - General Curriculum begins with an inclusive core of course work in curriculum development, collaborative practices and content area teaching strategies in reading and writing. Upon completion of the program, individuals majoring in Special Education - General Curriculum may also become eligible to receive an endorsement in Reading or ESOL, or a graduate certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorder. Successful candidates complete the program of study in approximately 24 months. The M.Ed. in Special Education has been approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission and is fully accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
This Program accepts applications for Summer Only; Summer deadline is April 1.
See the list of available start terms and document deadlines here. Please note that completed applications and all required credentials must be submitted by the posted deadline.
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Clear Renewable Georgia Teaching Certificate - To print a copy of your Georgia clear, renewable certificate, you may log onto www.gapsc.com.
- Personal Statement - Can be uploaded into the online application. Should be 1-2 pages and address your professional training and interests, the nature of your professional experiences, and specific issues you plan to address during the pursuit of your Masters degree.
- Personal Resume - Can be uploaded into the online application. Should document education, teaching experience, and your record of leadership.
- Two Letters of Recommendation - at least one must be from supervisor
- Interview - An interview may be required. Candidates will be contacted by the program if an interview in needed.
Please submit all application materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Their contact information, including mailing address, can be found here.
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION