Master of Education in Reading
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Candidates must hold a clear, renewable teaching certificate showing reading as a field or endorsement. Taking education and reading courses aligned to their initial level of teacher certification, the program prepares candidates for roles as interventionists, coaches, and program leaders in reading, writing, and literacy instruction. The program has a nine-hour residency requirement in a university-based literacy center.
Candidates will take a total of 33 hours. A professional sequence of 15 hours is required of all candidates; a teaching field concentration of 18 hours will be taken either in the secondary and middle grades concentration or the elementary and early childhood concentration.
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
This Program accepts applications for Fall and Summer Only.
- Fall deadline is July 1st.
- Summer deadline is April 1st.
See the list of available start terms and document deadlines here. Please note that completed applications and all required credentials must be submitted by the posted deadline.
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Clear Renewable Georgia Teaching Certificate - You must hold certification in Middle Grades or Secondary Education with a Reading concentration, certificate, endorsement or the equivalent. To print a copy of your Georgia clear, renewable certificate, you may log onto www.gapsc.com.
- Personal Statement - Can by uploaded into the online application. Should be 1-2 pages and describe your beliefs about education at the secondary level and your professional goals relative to the Master of Education in Reading.
- Personal Resume - Can by uploaded into the online application. Should document education, teaching experience, and your record of leadership.
- Two letters of Recommendation - please do NOT use the online recommendation system. Your letters should be on letterhead and from sources that can address your success in teaching, ability for success in graduate study, and commitment to adolescent learners.
Please submit all application materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Their contact information, including mailing address, can be found here.
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION