ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The MAPW Program offers a Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing. A unique four-course, non-degree program, its aim is to provide instruction and membership in a community of writers to qualified writing students in metro Atlanta and North Georgia who seek intensive creative writing practice but who do not want to matriculate in a graduate program.
The Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing:
- Allows qualified students to study in graduate-level writing workshops taught by professional writers
- Is designed for those interested in improving their poetry, developing a story, scripting a play, or completing their memoirs
- Offers students the opportunity to work with published authors in a serious and productive environment
- Gives students a high level of writing instruction and brings writers into a community of engaged writers of all ages who are also seeking to improve their writing, to explore publishing opportunities, to participate in literary events, and to broaden their personal and professional horizons
Students seeking the Graduate Certificate take the same courses as degree-seeking students.
- Students seeking the Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing enroll in only four courses in order to earn the certificate.
- They choose to focus in one of the creative writing genres offered in the MAPW program—fiction, poetry, film/TV, playwriting, or creative nonfiction—in which they will concentrate and are allowed to enroll only in the two workshops that the Program offers in that genre. They will first take the beginning course then the advanced one. For example, students who concentrate in fiction writing will take the beginning fiction writing course then the advanced fiction writing course.
- Students are also required to take "Readings for Writers" (PRWR 6100) and "Careers in the Literary Arts" (PRWR 6800).
- Because none of the courses required for the Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing is offered every semester, students must plan their course of study carefully.
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
The program accepts applications for Fall and Spring.
See the list of available start terms and document deadlines here. Please note that completed applications and all required credentials must be submitted by the posted deadline.
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letter of Application (Can be uploaded into the online application) - Should state your goals for the MAPW program and a rationale for the choice of concentration and support areas.
- Writing Sample (Can be uploaded into the online application) - One copy of representative writing samples from both the concentration and the support areas, not to exceed 25 pages.
- Resume (Optional) (Can be uploaded into the online application)
- Letters of Recommendation (optional) (Can be sent electronically through the online application)
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
Program Director: Dr. Tony Grooms
Program Office: 470-578-3335; email@example.com
Program Website: http://mapw.hss.kennesaw.edu/program/gccw/