Education Specialist in Educational Leadership
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Educational Specialist (EDS) in Educational Leadership is a professional degree program for qualified candidates who do not have a specialist or doctoral degree and who are pursuing clear, renewable leadership certification in Georgia (PL-6). The “Certification Only” program is for candidates who already possess an EDS or EDD, but do not have leadership certification. The program can be completed in as few as three (3) or as many as five (5) semesters, depending on the candidate’s preference.
Unlike traditional programs, the majority of coursework in the performance-based leadership program occurs in the candidate’s school. Of the twenty-seven (27) hours in the EDS program, eighteen (18) are residency, in which course meetings and course work are performed at the candidate’s school site. Each candidate has an individualized leadership plan, which is negotiated each semester between university faculty, the candidate, and a school-identified mentor. These plans identify authentic, meaningful projects that the candidate will complete within the school and on which he or she will demonstrate mastery of course material. All eighteen (18) hours of the “certificate only” program are performed in residency.
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
This program accepts applications in Fall, Spring and Summer; the deadlines are:
Fall July 1; Spring November 1; Summer April 1.
See the list of available start terms and document deadlines here. Please note that completed applications and all required credentials must be submitted by the posted deadline.
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to email@example.com.
- Clear Renewable Georgia Teaching Certificate - To print a copy of your Georgia clear, renewable certificate, you may log onto www.gapsc.com.
- Resume or Professional Vitae - Can be uploaded into the online application. Should document your education, years of teaching experience, current school and district, volunteer and service activities in which you have participated, and any leadership involvement. Resume MUST reflect at least FOUR years of professional teaching or administrative experience prior to admission consideration.
- Mentor Form - You can find the mentor form with instructions here.
- Superintendent Endorsement Form - You can find the Superintendent Endorsement form here.
- Employment - By PSC regulation, candidates must be referred for admissions by their respective schools/districts, and Kennesaw State University must hold a Performance-Based partnership with the referring district. For a list of partners, click here.
- Interview - An interview may be required. If so, you will be contacted by the program to set up an interview.
- You must be classified by your school district as being in a "leadership role."
- Agreement that your school district agrees to "support" you in this program (please check with your HR department for more information).
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of teaching or administrative experience.
Please submit all application materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Their contact information, including mailing address, can be found here.
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION