Doctor of Education in Secondary Education
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Ed.D. in Secondary Education is designed for candidates who possess a clear renewable (or comparable) T-5 certificate and hold a master’s degree in a Georgia Professional Standards Commission recognized area of certification. Through this program candidates develop the knowledge, skills and dispositions to serve as learner-centered specialists engaging in scholarly inquiry and research. Through the cognate and electives they deepen their expertise in a chosen area of study. This program of study thus provides the skills necessary to synthesize theory and practice through further examination of theoretically based curriculum development, understanding of global education issues, and inquiry into making education equitable, democratic, humane, and socially just. The Ed.S. in Secondary Education is fully embedded in the Ed.D. program. Those students who complete the Ed.S. in Secondary Education at Kennesaw State may apply their entire program of study to the Ed.D. Those students who have completed their Ed.S. at another institution will be eligible to have their transcripts analyzed and can possibly receive up to 21 hours credit toward the Ed.D.
We offer an Ed.D. in Secondary Education in Chemistry, English, History, and Mathematics.
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
This program accepts applications in Fall and Summer; the deadlines are:
Fall July 1; Summer April 1.
See the list of available start terms and document deadlines here. Please note that completed applications and all required credentials must be submitted by the posted deadline.
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GRE (General Test) - Scores must be from within the last 5 years. Request that your scores be sent electronically to KSU (school code 5359). No department code is necessary.
- Clear Renewable Georgia Teaching Certificate or Equivalent - To print a copy of your Georgia clear, renewable certificate, you may log onto www.gapsc.com.
- Research Response & Analysis (Writing Sample) - Can be uploaded into the online application. The applicant will select from a list of recent research articles in their area of content expertise and provide a 3-5 page written response to the article. Please see the Research Response and Analysis Prompt for the specific instructions. (Download list of pdf articles - Urban Legend, ENED-1, ENED-2 and ENED-3).
- Professional Resume - Can be uploaded into the online application. Should document your education, years of teaching experience, current school and district, volunteer and service activities in which you have participated, and any leadership involvement. Resume MUST reflect at least THREE years of professional teaching or administrative experience prior to admission consideration.
- Interview - An interview may be required. If so, you will be contacted by the program to set up an interview.
Please submit all application materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Their contact information, including mailing address, can be found here.
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION