Doctor of Education in Instructional Technology
ABOUT THE PROGRAMS
Today's educational technology leaders are known by many different titles such as Technology Director, Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and Chief Information Officer (CIO). No matter the title, educational technology leaders have dual leadership roles--both instructional and technical--and according to CoSN, these roles encompass a broad range of skills including:
- creating a vision for the role of technology;
- implementing strategic planning and policy development;
- having an understanding of teaching and learning, assessment, and professional development;
- managing technology and support resources; and
- possessing the political and interpersonal skills to effectively work with all stakeholders.
The Ed.D. in Instructional Technology will prepare you for these roles and challenge you to grow as an educational technology leader!
Are You Certified in Instructional Technology?
If NO, apply for the Certification Track of the Ed.D. in Instructional Technology.
The Certification Track is designed for educators who are not currently certified in Instructional Technology. The Certification Track leads to the new S-7 certification (service field) in Instructional Technology and increases a Georgia T-6 certification to a T-7. To qualify for a certificate upgrade and salary increase (based upon the salary structure of your employing school system), you must pass the GACE assessment in Instructional Technology and add the new field to your certificate. This track can also be completed by candidates whose careers do not require Georgia certification (e.g., educators in independent, charter, or IE2 school districts; and educators outside of Georgia), but they wish to earn an advanced degree in Instructional Technology based on the PSC Instructional Technology Standards and the ISTE standards for Technology Coaches.
*NOTE Please check with the GaPSC to ensure you will receive an upgrade upon graduation. You should also check with your school/district to determine if you will receive a pay increase.
*NOTE You do NOT need to be working in an Instructional Technology position to receive the upgrade! You can remain in the classroom.
*NOTE You must PASS the GACE in order to add the new ITEC certification and upgrade your existing Georgia teaching certificate.
If YES, apply for the Advanced Track of the Ed.D. in Instructional Technology.
The Advanced Track is designed for educators who already possess initial Georgia certification in Instructional Technology and only need to improve their certificate level from an S-6 to an S-7 and their teaching certificate from a T-6 to a T-7 (if applicable). The Advanced Track can also be completed by candidates whose careers do not require Georgia certification (e.g., educators in independent, charter, or IE2 school districts; and educators outside of Georgia), but they wish to earn an advanced degree in Instructional Technology based on the ISTE Standards for Technology Directors and the CoSN Framework of Essential Skills for K-12 CTOs.
STATEMENTS BELOW APPLY TO BOTH PROGRAMS
Students who complete their Ed.S. in Instructional Technology at Kennesaw State University may apply up to 15 hours of their Ed.S. to the Ed.D. in Instructional Technology. Students who have completed their Ed.S. at other institutions within the last 5 years may have their transcripts analyzed to receive transfer credit toward the Ed.D. in Instructional Technology at KSU.
Chalk & Wire Account
All students must purchase a Chalk & Wire account ($82) online from the KSU Bookstore if they do not already have an active account.
Note to Georgia Educators
Georgia educators who wish to upgrade their Georgia certificate must already possess initial Georgia certification in Instructional Technology to improve their certificate level (6 to 7). The Ed.D. increases a Georgia T-6 to a T-7 and an S-6 to an S-7 IF (SEE ABOVE) you already have certification in Instructional Technology.
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
This program reviews applications for fall semesters only. The fall semester application deadline for this program is April 1st.
See the complete list of available start terms and document deadlines here. Please note that completed applications and all required credentials must be submitted by the posted deadline.
YOU MUST CHOOSE EITHER TRACK AT THE START OF THE APPLICATION
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to email@example.com. Your transcripts should reflect at least a Master's degree with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Clear Renewable Georgia Teaching Certificate or Departmentally Approved Alternative - To print a copy of your Georgia clear, renewable certificate, you may log onto www.gapsc.com.
- Evaluation Form - Can be sent electronically. Should be from a school level administrator. Use the online recommendation system to have your evaluation form sent electronically through the online application.
- Mentor Form - This should be from a current administrator at the building or district level with instructional technology knowledge and experience.
- Professional Resume - Can be uploaded into the online application. Should document education, teaching experience, volunteer and service accomplishments, and record of leadership activities. Your resume MUST reflect at least three years of teaching experience.
- Professional Reflections Statement - Can be uploaded into the online application. Should reflect why you are interested in attending KSU for your doctoral studies, your technology leadership experiences, your career goals, and how the Ed.D. in Instructional Technology aligns with these goals.
- GRE Score Report (General Test)- Request that your scores be sent electronically to KSU (school code 5359). No department code is necessary.
Please submit all application materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Their contact information, including mailing address, can be found here.
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION