ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The sole American Studies graduate curriculum in the University System of Georgia, this program at Kennesaw State University enhances interdisciplinary, builds global learning and associated intercultural skills, and promotes civic engagement. The curriculum blends historical and place-based study with analysis of cultural products and requires to students to apply their learning in their personal and professional communities. The program is flexible, allowing students to pursue work that fits their own professional goals and interests. Our graduate program offers extensive training in scholarship and emphasizes innovative interdisciplinary approaches and collaboration among faculty and graduate students.
The program is 36 credits, including a two-semester sequence of theory and methods,
12 credits from four cluster areas, 9 hours of electives, and an applied research
project, internship or study abroad. The program concludes with a two part 6 credit-hour
capstone sequence, which can be a traditional thesis, or an applied or creative project.
Students have the option of pursuing a concentration focusing on transnational approaches
to American Studies.
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
This program accepts applications in Fall, Spring and Summer; the deadlines are:
Fall July 1; Spring November 1; Summer April 1.
See the list of available start terms and document deadlines here. Please note that completed applications and all required credentials must be submitted by the posted deadline.
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the
institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) - The program minimum is 2.75 for all undergraduate courses from the degree granting
institution, be we expect the incoming class will average above 3.0. The minimum
GPA for Graduate Assistantships eligibility is 3.0.
- Letter of Application (Can be uploaded into the online application) - Should be in the form of a narrative
which describes your educational and/or professional background, your future goals,
and how admission into the American Studies M.A. program at Kennesaw State University
will help you accomplish these goals. The letter should be specific to the program
and should be 3-5 double-spaced pages in length.
- Writing Sample (Can be uploaded into the online application) - The writing sample should demonstrate
the writing skills you have developed as a student and/or professional. The sample
should be relevant to the field of American Studies broadly defined, and it should
be refined and revised to fit within 5-7 double-spaced pages. This can be a paper
you submitted for a previous class, however, it should be consistent with the program
content and student goals.
- Resume (Optional) (Can be uploaded into the online application) - Not to exceed 6 pages
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation (Can be sent electronically through the online application) - At least one letter
should be a faculty member at the last school you attended (unless you have been out
of school for more than five years). Substitutions for faculty recommendations may
include work associates or others who can comment on your academic potential for graduate
- GRE Score Report* - Request that your scores be sent electronically to KSU (school code 5359). No
department code is necessary.
*Effective Fall 2020, the GRE will no longer be required for admission into the American Studies M.A. program.
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
- Program Director: Dr. Rebecca Hill
- Program Office: 470-578-2431; email@example.com
- Program Website: http://amst.hss.kennesaw.edu/graduate/