Education Specialist in Instructional Technology
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Kennesaw State University offers two tracks for the Ed.S. in Instructional Technology:
*NOTE - Please check with the GaPSC to ensure you will receive an upgrade upon graduation. You should also check with your school/district to determine if you will receive a pay increase.
*NOTE - You do NOT need to be working in an Instructional Technology position to receive the upgrade! You can remain in the classroom.
*NOTE -You must ATTEMPT the GACE in order to graduate. You must PASS the GACE in order to add the new ITEC certification and upgrade your existing Georgia teaching certificate.
Candidates must either be working in a classroom or have access to a classroom in order to implement class projects, and complete the field experiences and capstone project. There will be a few ONLINE synchronous sessions per class each semester.
The Ed.S. in Instructional Technology is fully online and designed for educators who currently hold or aspire to hold a technology leadership position at the school, district, or state level. The Ed.S. is intended to deepen and broaden the educational technology leadership knowledge and skills of candidates. The program is based on the ISTE Standards for Technology Directors and the CoSN Framework of Essential Skills for K-12 CTOs.
Today's educational technology leaders are known by many different titles such as Technology Director, Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and Chief Information Officer (CIO). No matter the title, educational technology leaders have dual leadership roles--both instructional and technical--and according to CoSN, these roles encompass a broad range of skills including:
- creating a vision for the role of technology;
- implementing strategic planning and policy development;
- having an understanding of teaching and learning, assessment, and professional development;
- managing technology and support resources; and
- possessing the political and interpersonal skills to effectively work with all stakeholders.
The Ed.S. in Instructional Technology will prepare you for these roles and challenge you to grow as an educational technology leader!
Note to Georgia Educators
Georgia educators who wish to upgrade their Georgia certificate must already possess initial Georgia certification in Instructional Technology to improve their certificate level (5 to 6). The Ed.S. increases a Georgia T-5 to a T-6 and an S-5 to an S-6 IF you already have certification in Instructional Technology. Please check with the GaPSC to ensure you will receive an upgrade upon graduation. You should also check with your school/district to determine if you will receive a pay increase.
Candidates must either be working in a classroom/school/district or have access to a classroom/school/district in order to implement class projects, and complete the field experiences and capstone project. There will be a few ONLINE synchronous sessions per class each semester.
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
This program accepts applications in Fall, Spring and Summer; the deadlines are:
Fall July 1; Spring November 1; Summer April 1.
See the list of available start terms and document deadlines here. Please note that completed applications and all required credentials must be submitted by the posted deadline.
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your transcripts should reflect at least a Master's Degree with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Clear Renewable Georgia Teaching Certificate or Departmentally Approved Alternative - To print a copy of your Georgia clear, renewable certificate, you may log onto www.gapsc.com.
- Evaluation Form - You can find the evaluation form here. This should be from a school level administrator.
- Mentor Form - You can find the mentor form here. This should be from a current administrator at the building or district level with instructional technology knowledge and experience.
- Professional Resume - Can be uploaded into the online application. Should include: statement of purpose, education, teaching experience, volunteer and service accomplishments, and record of leadership activities. Your resume MUST reflect at least THREE years of teaching experience.
Please submit all application materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Their contact information, including mailing address, can be found here.
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION