ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The sole American Studies graduate curriculum in the University System of Georgia, this program at Kennesaw State University enhances interdisciplinary, builds global learning and associated intercultural skills, and promotes civic engagement. The curriculum blends historical and place-based study with analysis of cultural products and requires to students to apply their learning in their personal and professional communities. The program is flexible, allowing students to pursue work that fits their own professional goals and interests. Our graduate program offers extensive training in scholarship and emphasizes innovative interdisciplinary approaches and collaboration among faculty and graduate students.
The program is 36 credits, including a two-semester sequence of theory and methods,
12 credits from four cluster areas, 9 hours of electives, and an applied research
project, internship or study abroad. The program concludes with a two part 6 credit-hour
capstone sequence, which can be a traditional thesis, or an applied or creative project.
Students have the option of pursuing a concentration focusing on transnational approaches
to American Studies.
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENT DEADLINES
This program accepts applications in Fall, Spring and Summer; the deadlines are:
Fall July 1; Spring November 1; Summer April 1.
See the list of available start terms and document deadlines here. Please note that completed applications and all required credentials must be submitted by the posted deadline.
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to email@example.com.
- GRE Score Report - Request that your scores be sent electronically to KSU (school code 5359). No department code is necessary.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) - The program minimum is 2.75 for all undergraduate courses from the degree granting institution, be we expect the incoming class will average above 3.0. The minimum GPA for Graduate Assistantships eligibility is 3.0.
- Letter of Application (Can be uploaded into the online application) - Should be in the form of a narrative which describes your educational and/or professional background, your future goals, and how admission into the American Studies M.A. program at Kennesaw State University will help you accomplish these goals. The letter should be specific to the program and should be 3-5 double-spaced pages in length.
- Writing Sample (Can be uploaded into the online application) - This can be a paper you submitted
for a previous class, however, it should be consistent with the program
content and student goals. It should demonstrate the writing skills you have developed as a student and/or professional. The sample should be relevant to the field of American Studies broadly defined, and it should be refined and revised to fit within 5-7 double-spaced pages.
- Resume (Optional) (Can be uploaded into the online application) - Not to exceed 6 pages
- Letters of Recommendation(Optional) (Can be sent electronically through the online application) - No letters of recommendation are required. However, you may submit up to 2 letters of recommendation concerning your academic and/or professional preparation for the American Studies program at KSU.
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
- Program Director: Dr. Rebecca Hill
- Program Office: 470-578-2431; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program Website: http://amst.hss.kennesaw.edu/graduate/